Monday, March 9, 2009

G5 Weekend Report

Hope everyone had a great weekend. We had a nice relaxing weekend.  Friday I cooked an enormous dinner, which I enjoyed making, thoroughly.  Everything from scratch, just as I like to do.  I suppose I was inspired by watching the movie Tortilla Soup on Thursday while I was folding what seemed like a mountain of laundry.  I spent most of the afternoon cooking.  I made corn tortillas, roasted salsa, tortilla soup, enchiladas beans and rice.  I was a little disappointed that the tortillas had kind of a funny aftertaste.  I am guessing because the masa may have gone stale.  It had been in the cabinet for quite a while.  I didn't know that it could, but I guess it's just as perishable as anything else.  I made a mole enchilada sauce and a Mexican beef roast as filling.  The roast practically fell apart when I was preparing the meat to go in the chili mole sauce for the enchiladas, which is just the way I like it.  Ethan liked the "chippy soup" (tortilla soup) as we called it, which was very surprising.  It's garnished with creama (kinda of sour cream) and cilantro.


Saturday we went to Kaylee's first real playdate (meaning a play date that was actually scheduled for her).  We went to a meet up with the families from my speech class.  It was the first time we had actually seen all the kids in person.  We get to watch videos of each other utilizing the techniques we learn in class.  The kids were so cute!!  Kaylee had a really good time.  So did Ethan!  He didn't want to leave.  They had other children that Ethan played with that were more his age.  Kaylee really like playing with our host's eldest daughter.  It was nice to see her get some time in with a "big sister" type.  The girl also seemed thrilled since she has all younger brothers.  She was fascinated to get to play with a little girl.  We headed out to the outlet mall after that to pick up some much needed clothes for Mark and Kay.  

We relaxed the rest of the day.  We watched AFV for the first time with Ethan.  Man, was it a crack up to see him laughing at all the video clips.  I think it was funnier to watch him react then it was to watch the videos themselves!

Sunday, we made some time to teach Ethan how to ride a bike with training wheels.  Javi never rides his bike.  He just never really took to it.  He's always been more interested in his scooter or skate boards.  Although the bike is too big for him, he did a really good job pedaling.  We decided it was time to get Ethan a bike of his own, so I think I will take a look at the second hand sports shop to get him a little 12" bike.  He won't need it for more than a year or two at best, so we thought it better not to spend too much. 

Here's a clip of him riding with Mark teaching him.


2 comments:

Danielle said...

tortilla soup...yuuuuum! How fun for Kay! Trev's dev. pedi just recommended us for the Hannan (I think?) class too. There's one coming up in the Spring. Ethan looks too cute on the bike!

We had a crazy weekend too...and looks like this week is shaping up to be just as! lol

...danielle

Mama Skates said...

u're always killing me with stories & pics of all that yummy food! chef shanna!

way 2 go ethan! riding bikes is so much fun!