Thursday, July 31, 2008

Knott's Berry Farm

I was down in the dumps so I woke up on Tuesday morning and decided, hey, let's go to Knott's Berry Farm with the kids. So I called up my mom and asked her if she wanted to come with us and if we could stay at her house after. She said that they were still painting at her place, but she wanted to check in to staying at the Knott's Resort. had a great rate, so she went ahead and booked it.

We headed up to LA to pick her up and so we could have brunch with my grandparents before going to the park. Apparently, somewhere between us getting over the Vincent Thomas Bridge (the bridge that connects Long Beach and the Port of Los Angeles) and pulling in to the IHOP for brunch there was a 5.4 earthquake. I didn't feel it thank goodness. I didn't even know it had happened until Mark sent me a text message about it an hour later. My mom, nor my grandparents had felt it while they were driving either.

Well, this kind of skunked our plans for Knott's since all the rides would probably be closed with the aftershocks. However, my mom had already booked the hotel, so we really had no choice but to just go. We decided to just take our time and stroll on over. We thought we could always walk around and take the kids to Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner (the best fried chicken in the west, although, I don't eat fried chicken off the bone). Well, we pulled up to the park and it just so happened they had just opened up the rides again. They had been down for a few hours due to the aftershocks. We arrived just before 4pm and I had remembered them having some kind of 1/2 price ticket for after 4pm. Well, we decided to head in late and just see how long the kids would make it. We ended up closing down the park at 10PM! It wasn't very crowded because most people had left after the earthquake, so the lines were really short for every ride. We had a great time. Javi got to ride almost every coaster in the park! We all loved Camp Snoopy. It was a somewhat difficult day with Ethan, since we are still potty training him, but he did ok. The kids had a great time. It was nice that we got to just stroll over to the resort after a long exhausting day.

We got up in the morning and had a wonderful breakfast of biscuits and gravy at Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner (yeah, they serve all day, they even have fried chicken and eggs on the menu at breakfast). Then we strolled around all the shops in the resort. After that, we went back to my grandparent's house to visit with them. The boys had fun playing with Papa in the backyard, while I relaxed and watched movies. It was nice to just sit and veg all day. I never get to do that and I sure was exhausted from all the running around with the kids. We got home late last night, so I was too tired to upload the pics then, but here they are!

alphastatedotnet's Knotts photosetalphastatedotnet's Knotts photoset


baby trevor's mommy said...

What a great idea! I can't sit still when I'm in the dumps either...I usually pack the kids up & head to the beach or something. But I've never thought to just take my mom & the kids on a little trip?!

I'm happy you weren't swallowed by the quake...and that the park stayed open!

I hope the time away helped!


JSmith5780 said...

So much FUN!! I am jealous!

So how do I get that stalked blog thing... I like it, it's cool!

~Mama Skates~ said...

how fun! i thought about u when i heard about the quake...glad it didn't ruin ur day! :0)