Tuesday, May 12, 2009

My little tortilla makers

I had some assistance in the kitchen today while I prepared flour tortillas. My two little assistants learned the basics of preparing and cooking them. Ethan got to roll out his first tortilla and then Javi cooked it (with assistance of course, I didn't just turn him loose).

The grill is called a comal, however, I am just using my griddle pan. My grandma has a real comal.

Here is the recipe if you want to try it for yourself.

Flour Tortilla Recipe

4 c all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 heaping tbsp of vegetable shortening
1 tbsp veg oil
1 1/4-1 1/2 c of warm water

1 c of all purpose flour in reserve for dusting

Sift first three ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Add oil & shortening and mix with your hand or kneading attatchment on a stand up mixer. Slowly add warm water. Dough should not be dry, but not sticky. Knead for 5-7 minutes. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and allow to rest for 30 min. Then start squeezing off 2 in diameter balls. Cover dough balls with plastic wrap so they don't dry out. Spread some flour on the rolling surface and the pin. Then pat rolled balls into a biscuit shape and roll them out in to 9" rounds. Cook on medium high for about 30 secs on each side. You should flip it when the dough gets bubbly. It should make about 2 dozen tortillas. Keep for up to two weeks in a ziploc in the fridge & up to 4 mo in the freezer.










-- Post From My iPhone

2 comments:

Mama Skates said...

YUM!

& those lil helpers u have r awfully cute! ;0)

Shanna Grimes said...

I think so too.